[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases/guile-pg
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: gdt
Date: Wed Nov 7 13:45:36 UTC 2012
pkgsrc/databases/guile-pg: Makefile PLIST distinfo
Update to 0.44. Because guile-pg now works with mainstream guile,
switch from guile16 to guile (currently 1.8), and remove the special
accomodations for 1.6.
- 0.44 | 2012-04-20
- distribution now .tar.xz
If you have GNU tar, you can use "tar xf" and it will DTRT.
If not, you can use "xz -dc TARBALL | tar xf -" to unpack.
- bugfix: ‘pg-get-copy-data’ handles unspecified ‘async?’
Previously, if ‘async?’ was unspecified, it was incorrectly
interpreted as true (i.e., "not false"). Now, if unspecified,
it is interpreted correctly as false.
- testing slack for pre-8.1 ‘pg-client-encoding’
Previously, the types-table test was too strict when checking
the ‘pg-client-encoding’ return value, expecting "UTF-8" only.
Now, it accepts also "UNICODE", which is the norm for PostgreSQL
prior to 8.1.
- support for ‘make check KEEPD=1’
If you run "make check" many times, you can avoid daemon bounce
overhead by specifying ‘KEEPD=1’, which inhibits daemon killing.
- maintenance tools
- GNU Autoconf 2.68
- GNU Automake 1.11.5
- GNU Libtool 2.4.2
- Guile-BAUX 20120309.1509.1c4bb92
- SNUGGLE 0.1
- 0.43 | 2012-02-06
[PBI] means "WARNING: potentially backward-incompatible".
- bugfix: ‘sql-quote’ translates backslash (#\\) to ‘\134’
Previously, backslash characters were passed through
unmodified. Now, they are translated to the string "\134"
(i.e., the four characters ‘#\\’, ‘#\1’, ‘#\3’, ‘#\4’).
- [PBI] ‘bytea’ stringifier outputs only one backslash
If the ‘bytea’ stringifier from ‘(database postgres-types)’ is
used standalone, this represents a BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE change.
In the normal case, however, where the stringifier is used in
conjunction with ‘sql-quote’, this change is transparent.
- new (database postgres-qcons) proc: string-xrep
Some versions of Guile emit ‘\xXX’ to represent the octet with
hex value XX when constructing the external representation of a
string, for certain octets. Furthermore, some versions of
PostgreSQL cannot grok such escape sequences anyway. The new
procedure ‘string-xrep’ is like ‘object->string’ (for a string
arg) except that it explicitly emits the octet itself, except
for ‘#\\’ and and ‘#\"’, which are backslash-escaped as normal.
- ‘(database postgres-qcons) idquote’ no longer emits ‘\xXX’
Before, ‘idquote’ used ‘object->string’ internally, and thus
suffered from the problems described in the preceding NEWS
entry. Now, it uses ‘string-xrep’.
- ‘(database postgres-col-defs) validate-def’ more permissive
A column name may now be any symbol that does not contain
whitespace. Previously it was restricted to a symbol whose
constituent characters were alphanumeric or underscore.
This change makes Guile-PG less strict (in some sense) than
PostgreSQL, which imposes other rules. Overarching is the
recommendation from PostgreSQL to consistently use a "delimited
identifier" (aka "quoted identifier") rather than a naked name.
That's what ‘idquote’ and ‘string-xrep’, both used extensively
in Guile-PG, do. See section "Identifiers and Key Words" in
chapter "SQL Syntax" in the PostgreSQL documentation, for more
- ‘pgtable-manager’ and ‘pgtable-worker’ likewise relaxed
These use ‘(database postgres-col-defs)’ procs and new proc
‘string-xrep’ internally, and thus benefit from the changes
mentioned in the preceding NEWS entries. Notably, table and
column names are less constrained. For example, see file
test/types-table.scm, proc ‘test-m2’.
[Probably "relaxed" is not as good as "strictness relaxed and
multi-byte-fu enhanced", but that does not fit on one line.]
- fake cluster created on-demand for "make check"
In addition to a fake installation, "make check" now also
creates a cluster under test/fake-cluster/ configured for
Unix-domain connections, and kicks/kills the daemon around the
actual ‘runtest TEST’ invocations. This means it is no longer
necessary to set env var ‘PGDATABASE’. In fact, that and env
var ‘PGHOST’ are now silently ignored, since ‘runtest’ clobbers
If you previously tested Guile-PG against different PostgreSQL
versions by varying ‘PGDATABASE’, you now need to vary env var
‘INITDB’ instead, and zonk the cluster before the "make check"
invocation. Something like:
$(MAKE) check DEBUG=1 INITDB=/a/particular/initdb
in directory test/ would be fine. See README section "Testing".
- 0.42 | 2011-10-04
- bugfix: "make check" no longer clobbers installed file
For Guile versions that require a Scheme wrapper for .so loading
(i.e., Guile 1.8 and later), "make check" does a fake install w/
a ‘prefix’ in the build tree. Unfortunately, in Guile-PG 0.41,
that dir was not specified to the Scheme wrapper, resulting in
its installation under the "real" (as determined / set by the
configure script) ‘prefix’.
The system would reamin in this inconsistent state, with the
wrapper pointing into the build tree, until "make install", at
which point everything was resynchronized. Obviously, if you
never do "make install", the problem persists (silently, until
the build tree is deleted).
This has now been fixed. If you did a "make check" but NOT
"make install" of Guile-PG 0.41, the best way forward is to
configure Guile-PG 0.42 and then "make install; make uninstall".
- ‘pg-print’ now does ‘fflush’ after each operation
This probably kills performance, but it is safer, given Guile's
direct use of ‘write(2)’ et al.
- ‘pg-set-client-encoding!’ also accepts symbolic encoding
- 0.41 | 2011-09-29
- Bugs fixed
- Make ‘idquote’ special-case ‘*’ in second part.
was: (display (idquote 'a.*)) |= "a"."*"
now: (display (idquote 'a.*)) |= "a".*
- Call ‘string-append’ with strings, not symbols.
We no longer rely on this particular Guile 1.4 slack.
- Portability fixes (tested w/ Guile 1.8.7)
With the following (and other, non-user-visible) changes, "make
check" no longer displays "foo is deprecated" messages with
Guile 1.8.7. If you see them for your system, for either "make
check" or subsequent Guile-PG use, please report that as a bug.
- Don't do "defer/allow ints" for Guile 1.8+.
- Revamped Scheme object to C byte range for Guile 1.8+
Access to Scheme string representation was curtailed in Guile
1.8 (API available but deprecated), so all operations that pass
a C byte range to libpq functions now incur an extra conversion
step. The unfortunate user-visible result is performance loss.
- Planned retirement
- procedure ‘(database postgres) pg-getline’
- procedure ‘(database postgres) pg-getlineasync’
These procedures are obsoleted by ‘pg-get-copy-data’ and
WILL BE REMOVED by 2012-12-31.
- New fluid to control ‘(database postgres-qcons) sql-quote’
The fluid ‘sql-quote-auto-E?’ controls whether or not
‘sql-quote’ should check for ‘\’ (backslash) characters and
prefix an "E" in that case. This is relevant if you use
- New support for "hex format" in ‘bytea’ objectifier
PostgreSQL 9.0 introduces a more efficient "hex format" for
‘bytea’ output. This is now recognized and parsed, falling back
to handling the traditional "escape format" if not recognized.
- Doc improvements
- Fix omission: Document ‘pg-get-copy-data’ arg ‘async?’.
- Indices merged into one
- Builtin type converters listed and indexed
- Builtin type converter array variants listed
- For ‘make check DEBUG=1’, display the guile(1) invocation.
- Tested w/ latest server versions: 8., 9.
Additionally, the entries in file test/OK now include the
associated Guile-PG version, and some include a subheading
"other pg" to list the precise server version numbers.
- 0.40 | 2011-06-05
- Changes to configuration
- Bug fixed in finding ‘pg_encoding_to_char’, ‘pg_char_to_encoding’
- Now seeks and arranges to use <postgresql/foo> headers
- No longer clobbers user vars ‘CPPFLAGS’, ‘LDFLAGS’
- Changes to build / test / install
- Bug fixed: Delete everything on "make uninstall"
- Scheme code now punified for install
- Add "no C module" mode for build / install
- Changes to "make check"
- Flaky symlinking replaced w/ partial in-tree installation
- runtest now honors env var ‘GUILE’
- runtest now shows loaded files if env var ‘DEBUG’ set
- New (database postgres-qcons) proc: idquote
- Docs now explicitly UTF-8
- Tested on more platforms (see file test/OK)
- Maintenance uses AAL 2.68, 1.11.1, 2.4; Guile-BAUX 20110605.1656
To generate a diff of this commit:
cvs rdiff -u -r1.44 -r1.45 pkgsrc/databases/guile-pg/Makefile
cvs rdiff -u -r1.9 -r1.10 pkgsrc/databases/guile-pg/PLIST
cvs rdiff -u -r1.10 -r1.11 pkgsrc/databases/guile-pg/distinfo
Please note that diffs are not public domain; they are subject to the
copyright notices on the relevant files.
Main Index |
Thread Index |