[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
CVS commit: pkgsrc/lang/squeak
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: asau
Date: Mon Oct 29 08:04:21 UTC 2012
pkgsrc/lang/squeak: Makefile PLIST distinfo
Update to Squeak 4.3
Changes in Squeak 4.3.
There aren't any applications bundled with this release.
Instead of working on applications to bundle with the image,
core developers have been inspired by the Cog virtual machine
to look deeply into the image for things they wanted to change.
As a result, the image is becoming smaller, tidier, and nimbler.
There are five Welcome Workspaces in Squeak 4.3.
The second is called Future Directions:
- This image is ~15M. If you execute - Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages -
it will become ~10M
- A SqueakCore image is available at http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3
- A reasonable target is the creation of a smaller image,
which may be a task before the community
- A place to explore where to make reductions is likely the
removal/replacement of GUIs
- Once we have a smaller core image, we can employ Andreas Raab's memo 
on how to load code back into the image. This will be based on tests
delineating the separate responsibilities of core and application developers
Changes in Squeak 4.2
* Preparation for adoption of Cog VM
* Significant class-library and IDE improvements, with many speed improvements
* High-precision Clock (microsecond precision)
* Cleaned-up code base, with better support for unloading optional packages
* The last of the underscore assignments have been replaced with ANSI
* Refactoring and unification of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage globals.
* API for stdio access (requires recent VM)
* Improved command-line interface
* Better Documentation (see Help > Help Browser)
* SUnit now supports timeouts
* More UI work including a tweaked look and feel, and support for translucent
* Support for classic MVC has been restored to Squeak for better support of
* System Reporter (found under Help > About this system) - a tool
to simplify and standardise the reporting of your image's
Changes in Squeak 4.1
This version combines the licence change occurring in the 4.0 release
with the development work that has been going on while the re-licensing
process took place.
Much of the work in this release has been focused on fundamental
improvements. Major achievements are the integration of Cog's
closure implementation, the improved UI look and feel,
the new anti-aliased fonts, the core library improvements,
and the modularity advances.
One key focus for this release was to address the issues that
have been known to frustrate developers using Squeak for the
first time. A much improved set of UI widgets, the new menu bar
including the fast search control, integrated help, improved
test coverage, more class and method comments, and integrated
syntax highlighting all make the system more accessible. The new
full closures, the new traits implementation, multiple
improvements to the collections and streams classes, the new
NumberParser hierarchy all help make development easier and
produce cleaner, faster code. Deploying your completed
applications will be made easier by the work done on making many
modules unloadable, and by support for other cleanup activities.
To generate a diff of this commit:
cvs rdiff -u -r1.43 -r1.44 pkgsrc/lang/squeak/Makefile
cvs rdiff -u -r1.8 -r1.9 pkgsrc/lang/squeak/PLIST
cvs rdiff -u -r1.16 -r1.17 pkgsrc/lang/squeak/distinfo
Please note that diffs are not public domain; they are subject to the
copyright notices on the relevant files.
Main Index |
Thread Index |