[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
CVS commit: pkgsrc/news/inn
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: spz
Date: Thu Aug 23 19:00:42 UTC 2012
pkgsrc/news/inn: Makefile PLIST distinfo
pkgsrc/news/inn/patches: patch-ah patch-ak
pkgsrc/news/inn/patches: patch-am patch-an
Update from 2.5.2 to 2.5.3 (fixes CVE-2011-0411).
While we are touching it, fix PR/45986 with the patch supplied therein
Changes from 2.5.2 to 2.5.3:
* When HDR/XHDR/XPAT were used on a new article coming into a newsgroup,
requesting a header not present in the overview database, the first
subsequent OVER/XOVER command did not show that article. A remap of
the overview data file was missing in nnrpd. Thanks to Sam
Varshavchik for the bug report.
* When a header field appeared more than once in an article, it was
missing from the overview data. OVER/XOVER, as well as HDR/XHDR/XPAT
using the overview, were therefore returning an empty field. The
content of the first occurrence is now returned, in accordance with
Perl and Python filters for innd now also properly initialize their
header variables with the first occurrence of header fields. (It is
still the last occurrence for the Perl filter for nnrpd.)
* Fixed a possible plaintext command injection during the negotiation of
a TLS layer. The vulnerability detailed in CVE-2011-0411 affects the
STARTTLS and AUTHINFO SASL commands. nnrpd now resets its read buffer
upon a successful negotiation of a TLS layer. It prevents malicious
commands, sent unencrypted, from being executed in the new encrypted
state of the session.
* Fixed a regression that occurred in INN 2.5.0 when leading whitespace
characters have been made significant in header field bodies. It
could lead INN to drop articles and throttle itself when running as a
slave because Xref: header fields generated by other news servers, or
even INN 2.4.6, could contain (valid) leading whitespace. Thanks to
Matija Nalis for having caught this bug.
* Fixed an invalid 431 response to CHECK commands when innd is paused:
the message-ID of the article to defer was missing. Also fixed
another issue in the messages innd replied; when an error occurred
during a write on a channel, a trailing extra junk byte was added to
the reply. Thanks to River Tarnell for these bug reports.
* It is now possible to properly generate daily statistics with
sendinpaths thanks to the new -k and -r flags that permit to control
the interval of days for processing dump files. The new -c flag
permits to send a copy of the generated e-mail to the newsmaster.
Also fixed an issue with statistics that could be missing or
duplicated for a couple of days when monthly sent.
The documentation has been updated and mentions a preferred daily run
of sendinpaths. This script is a complete rewrite in Perl, and is
based on Mohan Kokal's initial work.
* cnfsheadconf now properly recognizes continuation lines in
cycbuff.conf, that is to say lines ending with a backslash ("\").
Thanks to John F. Morse for the bug report.
* The order of CNFS buffers in a metacycbuff is now properly read and
written by cnfsheadconf. There previously was a confusion between
hexadecimal and decimal values. Thanks again to John F. Morse.
* When the -l flag is given to cnfsstat, the cycbuff.conf and
storage.conf files are now reloaded if they have been modified since
the previous output of cnfsstat.
* A single header field line is limited to 998 bytes, per RFC 5536.
innd was previously accepting, and also generating Xref: header field
lines, up to 1022 bytes. Now, nnrpd (acting as an injecting agent)
rejects articles which contain header field lines whose length exceeds
998 bytes. And innd (acting as a relaying or serving agent) no longer
* nnrpd advertises the COUNTS, DISTRIBUTIONS, MODERATORS, MOTD and
SUBSCRIPTIONS variants of the LIST command in response to
CAPABILITIES. These commands already existed in nnrpd but RFC 6048
had not yet been published.
* Add support for LIST MOTD in innd. Consequently, the motd.news
configuration file which was previously used only by nnrpd is renamed
to motd.nnrpd (innupgrade takes care of the rename). innd uses the
new motd.innd file in *pathetc* for its message of the day.
* Fixed an issue at configure time that made INN wrongly assume that
OpenBSD (4.6) didn't support Unix-domain sockets. Thanks to Wim Lewis
for the patch.
* Fixed an issue on systems which do not have a working flock(2)
function (Solaris, for instance). mailpost and pullnews are reported
not to be usable on such systems. Many thanks to Dennis Davis for the
A wrapper around shlock is now called in Perl scripts. The
INN::Utils::Shlock module has been added for that use.
* Fixed an issue in the Python access hook for nnrpd: it has not been
working since Python 2.5 on 64-bit platforms, owing to a change to
Python's C API, using a new Py_ssize_t type definition instead of int.
Thanks to Raphael Barrois for the patch.
* Improve the stability of the Perl filters for innd and nnrpd: properly
save and restore the stack pointer when needed.
* The Injection-Date: header, when present, is now used by innd and
makehistory to determine the posting date of an article. Otherwise,
the Date: header is used.
* controlchan now imposes a date cutoff on processing control articles.
The *artcutoff* parameter set in inn.conf is used. Otherwise, without
that cutoff, old control articles could be maliciously reinjected into
Usenet, and replayed. (An unsigned Injection-Date: header field could
be added to an article that only had a Date: header field.) A new -c
flag has been added to controlchan to disable the cutoff check, if
needed (usually when manually invoking the program).
* nnrpd no longer adds or updates the Path: header field when an article
is forwarded to a moderator. It could otherwise lead to rejects at
injection time when the article was approved by the moderator.
* The X-Trace: header field was not properly generated when an article
was locally posted. The field mentioning the IP address was skipped,
resulting in a wrong syntax for this header. The local "127.0.0.1" IP
address is now used. Besides, "localhost" is now mentioned instead of
an obscure "stdin" in injection header fields.
* Fixed a bug in the frequency innfeed logs its status: too many
useless lines were written to news.notice. Thanks to Florian
Schlichting for the fix.
* When unset in innfeed.conf, the *dynamic-method* parameter now
properly defaults to 3 (instead of 0) and *use-mmap* to false (instead
of true). These two values were already the recommended ones in the
documentation and the sample file. Note that *use-mmap* is only used
when innfeed is given file names to send instead of storage API
tokens, which is a fairly rare use case.
* innfeed no longer generates an error message (logged in news.err) when
a parameter is not defined in innfeed.conf. All the parameters have a
default value, so there is no need to warn the user if they are not
present in innfeed.conf. Thanks to Dieter Stussy for having reported
* Implement an upper limit to the number of file descriptors innd can
handle. At most (FD_SETSIZE-1) file descriptors can be used. This
upper limit now overrides any superior number set with *rlimitnofile*
in inn.conf. Thanks to Steve Crook for the bug report.
* A default timeout on outgoing sockets (using NNTPconnect) has been
added by Florian Schlichting. For a long time, there have been
occasional problems with actsync (and probably other programs) that
would hang until manually killed or restarted.
* The flag -S has been added to innd by Florian Schlichting. When used,
innd reports the errors found in incoming.conf and exits.
* pullnews no longer stops processing newsgroups when an error occur
during its run (for instance when a newsgroup mentioned in the
configuration file is removed from an upstream server). Besides, it
can now use authentication when posting to the downstream server.
A few other minor bugs have been fixed as for the way pullnews counts
* Fixed the way innreport handles leap years. It now properly generates
HTML reports; dates were assumed to be relative to the current year,
which may break their computation during for instance the whole 2012
leap year. Please note that no HTML reports have been lost, and that
they will appear when INN is updated to this new version.
* A new parameter has been added to inn.conf to determine whether the
status file that innd can write out (depending on the value of the
*status* parameter) is plain text or wrapped in HTML. It previously
only was a compile-time option, set to true by default. Florian
Schlichting added the *htmlstatus* parameter to provide a configurable
* It is now possible to run a script at the end of the execution of
innshellvars scripts. If a file named innshellvars.local,
innshellvars.pl.local or innshellvars.tcl.local is present and
executable in *pathetc*, then it will be executed by the corresponding
innshellvars script (respectively shell, INN::Config Perl module, and
Tcl). A typical use is to add or override variables.
* Add support for wire-formatted articles in scanspool.
* A lot of work on cleaning old perl4-style code has been done by
* inncheck now generates a proper non-zero exit value when errors are
found, and allows quiet mode with the -q flag. Florian Schlichting
has greatly improved this script in many regards, especially with a
config-syntax parser for incoming.conf, innfeed.conf, readers.conf and
* inncheck now properly finds the boundaries of substituted variables in
newsfeeds thanks to Alexander Bartolich.
* docheckgroups no longer uses awk. On a few systems, the script was
failing because of the presence of an old version of awk that has a
limit in the size of the input it can handle. Processing large
newsgroups files was consequently impossible. docheckgroups now uses
Perl instead of awk, which solves the issue reported by John F. Morse.
* Other minor bug fixes and documentation improvements. In particular,
the *debug-shrinking*, *fast-exit* and *initial-sleep* keys in
innfeed.conf are now documented. The function "filter_end()", called
when Perl filtering is turned off, is also documented for the innd and
nnrpd Perl filters.
To generate a diff of this commit:
cvs rdiff -u -r1.108 -r1.109 pkgsrc/news/inn/Makefile
cvs rdiff -u -r1.22 -r1.23 pkgsrc/news/inn/PLIST
cvs rdiff -u -r1.28 -r1.29 pkgsrc/news/inn/distinfo
cvs rdiff -u -r1.14 -r1.15 pkgsrc/news/inn/patches/patch-ah
cvs rdiff -u -r1.1 -r1.2 pkgsrc/news/inn/patches/patch-ak
cvs rdiff -u -r0 -r1.1 pkgsrc/news/inn/patches/patch-al
cvs rdiff -u -r1.1 -r0 pkgsrc/news/inn/patches/patch-am \
Please note that diffs are not public domain; they are subject to the
copyright notices on the relevant files.
Main Index |
Thread Index |