[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
CVS commit: pkgsrc/sysutils/memtest86
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: obache
Date: Sun Feb 19 11:14:33 UTC 2012
pkgsrc/sysutils/memtest86: Makefile distinfo
Update memtest86 to 4.0.
Based on PR 45754 by Radoslaw Kujawa.
Enhancements in v4.0 (28/Mar/2011)
* Support for testing with multiple CPUs. All tests except for #11 (Bit Fade)
have been multi-threaded. A maximum of 16 CPUs will be used for testing.
* CPU detection has been completely re-written to use the brand ID string rather
than the cumbersome, difficult to maintain and often out of date CPUID family
information. All new processors will now be correctly identified without
requiring code support.
* All code related to controller identification, PCI and DMI has been removed.
This may be a controversial decision and was not made lightly. The following
are justifications for the decision:
1. Controller identification has nothing to do with actual testing of
the core purpose of Memtest86.
2. This code needed to be updated with every new chipset. With the ever
growing number of chipsets it is not possible to keep up with the
The result is that new chipsets were more often than not reported
in-correctly. In the authors opinion incorrect information is worse
than no information.
3. Probing for chipset information carries the risk of making the program
4. The amount of code involved with controller identification was quite
large, making support more difficult.
Removing this code also had the unfortunate effect of removing reporting of
correctable ECC errors. The code to support ECC was hopelessly intertwined the
controller identification code. A fresh, streamlined implementation of ECC
reporting is planned for a future release.
* A surprising number of conditions existed that potentially cause problems when
testing more than 4 GB of memory. Most if not all of these conditions have
been identified and corrected.
* A number of cases were corrected where not all of memory was being tested. For
most tests the last word of each test block was not tested. In addition an
error in the paging code was fixed that omitted from testing the last 256
bytes of each block above 2 GB.
* The information display has been simplified and a number of details that were
not relevant to testing were removed.
* Memory speed measurement has been parallelized for more accurate reporting for
multi channel memory controllers.
* This is a major re-write of the Memtest86 with a large number of minor
bug-fixes and substantial cleanup and re-organization of the code.
To generate a diff of this commit:
cvs rdiff -u -r1.22 -r1.23 pkgsrc/sysutils/memtest86/Makefile
cvs rdiff -u -r1.7 -r1.8 pkgsrc/sysutils/memtest86/distinfo
cvs rdiff -u -r1.3 -r0 pkgsrc/sysutils/memtest86/patches/patch-aa
Please note that diffs are not public domain; they are subject to the
copyright notices on the relevant files.
Main Index |
Thread Index |