[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
CVS commit: pkgsrc/archivers/zip
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: wiz
Date: Wed Aug 26 22:33:15 UTC 2009
pkgsrc/archivers/zip: Makefile distinfo
Update to 3.0, add dependency on bzip2. New features in 3.0:
- Large files. Support for files and archives greater than 2 GB using
large file I/O and the Zip64 extensions. Also can now have more
than 64K entries in an archive.
- Split archives. Zip now supports split archives, zip archives
split into a set of files that can then be stored on removable media
- Unicode. If Unicode support is enabled and supported on the system
Zip is run on, Zip now can read paths not in the current character
set and store those paths in portable UTF-8 format. These Unicode
paths can then be used to partially or fully recreate the paths on
other systems depending on the character set support provided by
the unzip on the receiving system. In particular, this allows
portability of paths between Windows and Unix. Unicode comments
are also supported on systems where UTF-8 is the current character
set. Unicode comment support for other systems is expected in
- New command line parser. This new parser allows for command line
permuting, where options can appear almost anywhere on the command
line. This allows adding options to the end of the command line,
for instance. It also supports long options, allowing for
more readable command lines, and also allows lists for the -x
exclude and -i include options to appear not just at the end of
the command line. And some bugs in command line processing in
Zip 2.32 have been fixed.
- Unix 32-bit UIDs/GIDs. Now UIDs/GIDs larger than 16 bits are
supported, but UnZip 6.0 is needed to restore these larger
UIDs/GIDs. If Zip detects that the current system does not use
16-bit UIDs/GIDs, the old 16-bit UID/GID storage is not used
as putting 32-bit UIDs/GIDs into 16-bit fields can cause
- New modes. Additional archive modes have been added, including a
difference mode for supporting incremental backups, a file sync
mode for synchronizing an existing archive with the current file
system (which can be much faster than creating a new archive), and
a copy mode that allows copying entries from one archive to another.
- Compression using bzip2. Now can add bzip2 compression as a
compression option in Zip. bzip2 compression can result in much
more compact entries in some cases, but the user should verify
that bzip2 is supported on the target unzip before using this new
- New Windows dll. The Windows dll has been updated to support the
new Zip64 large file and larger number of entries limits. This
new dll is not backward compatible with the Zip 2.32 dll, as the
arguments to the dll have been updated to support the added
capabilities, but modifying existing programs to use the new dll
should be simple. See the included Visual Basic example project
- Better streaming and piping. Zip now has better support of
streaming and piping and handles Unix FIFOs (named pipes) better.
- Gobs of new progress information. Zip can now output progress
information, such as how many entries processed and to go, how
many bytes processed and to go, and adjustable size progress
dots. If the initial file scan takes longer than about 5
seconds, Zip now outputs dots during the scan to avoid a long
period of quiet. Zip can also now generate log files.
- Updated archive fixing. The archive fixing capability is
slightly improved, and now can fix split archives.
- Windows Archive bit support. The Windows archive bit is now
supported, though the new difference mode is probably more
reliable than relying on the Windows archive bit for creating
- File lists. Zip can list the files that would be added to an
archive as well as the files in an existing archive.
- Extended help. A new extended help option lists a very terse
summary of the major features of Zip and how to use them.
- Many bug fixes.
To generate a diff of this commit:
cvs rdiff -u -r1.53 -r1.54 pkgsrc/archivers/zip/Makefile
cvs rdiff -u -r1.9 -r1.10 pkgsrc/archivers/zip/distinfo
cvs rdiff -u -r1.2 -r0 pkgsrc/archivers/zip/patches/patch-ah
Please note that diffs are not public domain; they are subject to the
copyright notices on the relevant files.
Main Index |
Thread Index |