[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/libev
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: sno
Date: Sat Aug 8 19:40:37 UTC 2009
Update of /cvsroot/pkgsrc/devel/libev
In directory ivanova.netbsd.org:/tmp/cvs-serv29254
Importing package for libev-3.7 (recommended dependency for p5
Libev is modelled (very losely) after libevent and the Event perl
module, but is faster, scales better and is more correct, and also more
featureful. And also smaller. Yay.
Some of the specialties of libev not commonly found elsewhere are:
- extensive and detailed, readable documentation (not doxygen garbage).
- fully supports fork, can detect fork in various ways and automatically
re-arms kernel mechanisms that do not support fork.
- highly optimised select, poll, epoll, kqueue and event ports backends.
- filesystem object (path) watching (with optional linux inotify support).
- wallclock-based times (using absolute time, cron-like).
- relative timers/timeouts (handle time jumps).
- fast intra-thread communication between multiple
event loops (with optional fast linux eventfd backend).
- extremely easy to embed.
- very small codebase, no bloated library.
- fully extensible by being able to plug into the event loop,
integrate other event loops, integrate other event loop users.
- very little memory use (small watchers, small event loop data).
- optional C++ interface allowing method and function callbacks
at no extra memory or runtime overhead.
- optional Perl interface with similar characteristics (capable
of running Glib/Gtk2 on libev, interfaces with Net::SNMP and
- support for other languages (multiple C++ interfaces, D, Ruby,
Python) available from third-parties.
Examples of programs that embed libev: the EV perl module,
rxvt-unicode, gvpe (GNU Virtual Private Ethernet), the Deliantra MMORPG
server (http://www.deliantra.net/), Rubinius (a next-generation Ruby
VM), the Ebb web server, the Rev event toolkit.
Vendor Tag: TNF
Release Tags: pkgsrc-base
No conflicts created by this import
Main Index |
Thread Index |