Subject: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/rsync
To: None <pkgsrc-changes@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <email@example.com>
Date: 06/04/2005 09:35:52
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: wiz
Date: Sat Jun 4 09:35:52 UTC 2005
pkgsrc/net/rsync: Makefile distinfo
Update to 2.6.5:
- Non-printable chars in filenames are now output using backslash-
escaped characters rather than '?'s. Any non-printable character is
output using 3 digits of octal (e.g. "\n" -> "\012"), and a backslash
is now output as "\\". Rsync also uses your locale setting, which
can make it treat fewer high-bit characters as non-printable.
- If rsync received an empty file-list when pulling files, it would
output a "nothing to do" message and exit with a 0 (success) exit
status, even if the remote rsync returned an error (it did not do
this under the same conditions when pushing files). This was changed
to make the pulling behavior the same as the pushing behavior: we
now do the normal end-of-run outputting (depending on options) and
exit with the appropriate exit status.
- A crash bug was fixed when a daemon had its "path" set to "/", did
not have chroot enabled, and used some anchored excludes in the
- Fixed a bug in the transfer of a single file when -H is specified
(rsync would either infinite loop or perhaps crash).
- Fixed a case where the generator might try (and fail) to tweak the
write-permissions of a read-only directory in list-only mode (this
only caused an annoying warning message).
- If --compare-dest or --link-dest uses a locally-copied file as the
basis for an updated version, log this better when --verbose or -i
is in effect.
- Fixed the accidental disabling of --backup during the --delete-after
- Restored the ability to use the --address option in client mode (in
addition to its use in daemon mode).
- Make sure that some temporary progress information from the delete
processing does not get left on the screen when it is followed by a
- When --existing skips a directory with extra verbosity, refer to it
as a "directory", not a "file".
- When transferring a single file to a different-named file, any
generator messages that are source-file related no longer refer to
the file by the destination filename.
- Fixed a bug where hard-linking a group of files might fail if the
generator hasn't created a needed destination directory yet.
- Fixed a bug where a hard-linked group of files that is newly-linked
to a file in a --link-dest dir doesn't link the files from the rest
of the cluster.
- When deleting files with the --one-file-system (-x) option set, rsync
no longer tries to remove files from inside a mount-point on the
receiving side. Also, we don't complain about being unable to remove
the mount-point dir.
- Fixed a compatibility problem when using --cvs-ignore (-C) and
sending files to an older rsync without using --delete.
- Make sure that a "- !" or "+ !" include/exclude pattern does not
trigger the list-clearing action that is reserved for "!".
- Avoid a timeout in the generator when the sender/receiver aren't
handling the generator's checksum output quickly enough.
- Fixed the omission of some directories in the delete processing when
--relative (-R) was combined with a source path that had a trailing
- Fixed a case where rsync would erroneously delete some files and then
re-transfer them when the options --relative (-R) and --recursive
(-r) were both enabled (along with --delete) and a source path had a
- Make sure that --max-size doesn't affect a device or a symlink.
- Make sure that a system with a really small MAXPATHLEN does not cause
the buffers in readfd_unbuffered() to be too small to receive normal
messages. (This mainly affected Cygwin.)
- If a source pathname ends with a filename of "..", treat it as if
"../" had been specified (so that we don't copy files to the parent
dir of the destination).
- If --delete is combined with a file-listing rsync command (i.e. no
transfer is happening), avoid outputting a warning that we couldn't
- If --stats is specified with --delete-after, ensure that all the
"deleting" messages are output before the statistics.
- Improved one "if" in the deletion code that was only checking errno
for ENOTEMPTY when it should have also been checking for EEXIST (for
compatibility with OS variations).
- Added the --only-write-batch=FILE option that may be used (instead
of --write-batch=FILE) to create a batch file without doing any
actual updating of the destination. This allows you to divert all
the file-updating data away from a slow data link (as long as you
are pushing the data to the remote server when creating the batch).
- When the generator is taking a long time to fill up its output buffer
(e.g. if the transferred files are few, small, or missing), it now
periodically flushes the output buffer so that the sender/receiver
can get started on the files sooner rather than later.
- Improved the keep-alive code to handle a long silence between the
sender and the receiver that can occur when the sender is receiving
the checksum data for a large file.
- Improved the auth-errors that are logged by the daemon to include
some information on why the authorization failed: wrong user,
password mismatch, etc. (The client-visible message is unchanged!)
- Improved the client's handling of an "@ERROR" from a daemon so that
it does not complain about an unexpectedly closed socket (since we
really did expect the socket to close).
- If the daemon can't open the log-file specified in rsyncd.conf, fall
back to using syslog and log an appropriate warning. This is better
than what was typically a totally silent (and fatal) failure (since a
daemon is not usually run with the --no-detach option that was
necessary to see the error on stderr).
- The man pages now consistently refer to an rsync daemon as a "daemon"
instead of a "server" (to distinguish it from the server process in a
- Made a small change to the rrsync script (restricted rsync -- in the
support dir) to make a read-only server reject all --remove-* options
when sending files (to future-proof it against the possibility of
other similar options being added at some point).
To generate a diff of this commit:
cvs rdiff -r1.57 -r1.58 pkgsrc/net/rsync/Makefile
cvs rdiff -r1.20 -r1.21 pkgsrc/net/rsync/distinfo
Please note that diffs are not public domain; they are subject to the
copyright notices on the relevant files.