Subject: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/automake
To: None <pkgsrc-changes@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <email@example.com>
Date: 01/19/2004 19:00:20
Module Name: pkgsrc
Committed By: wiz
Date: Mon Jan 19 19:00:20 UTC 2004
pkgsrc/devel/automake: Makefile distinfo
Update to 1.8.2.
Bug fixed in 1.8.2:
* A (well known) portability bug slipped in the changes made to
install-sh in Automake 1.8.1. The broken install-sh would refuse to
install anything on Tru64.
* Fix install rules for conditionally built python files. (This never
Bug fixed in 1.8.1:
* Bugs introduced by 1.8:
- Fix Config.pm import error with old Perl versions (at least
5.005_03). One symptom is that aclocal could not find its macro
- Automake 1.8 used `mkdir -m 0755 -p --' to ensure that directories
created by `make install' are always world readable, even if the
installer happens to have an overly restrictive umask (e.g. 077).
This was a mistake and has been reverted. There are at least two
reasons why we must not use `-m 0755':
- it causes special bits like SGID to be ignored,
- it may be too restrictive (some setups expect 775 directories).
- Fix aclocal to honor definitions located in files which have been
m4_included manually. aclocal 1.8 had been updated to check
m4_included files for new requirements, but forgot that these
m4_included files can also provide new definitions.
Note that if you have such a setup, we recommend you get rid of
it. In the past, there was a reason to m4_include files manually:
aclocal used to duplicate entire M4 files into aclocal.m4, even
files that were distributed. Some packages were therefore
m4_including the distributed file directly, and playing some
tricks to ensure aclocal would not copy that file to aclocal.m4,
in order to limit the amount of duplication. Since aclocal 1.8.x
will precisely output m4_includes for local M4 files, we recommend
that you clean up your setup, removing all manual m4_includes and
letting aclocal output them.
- Output detailed menus in the Info version if the Automake manual,
so that Emacs can locate the indexes.
- configure.ac and configure were listed twice in DIST_COMMON (an
internal variable where Automake lists configury files to
distribute). This was harmless, but unaesthetic.
- Use `chmod a-w' instead of `chmod -w' as the latter honors umask.
This was an issue only in the Automake package itself, not in
- Automake assumed that all AC_CONFIG_LINKS arguments had the form
DEST:SRC. This was wrong, as some packages do
AC_CONFIG_LINKS($computedlinks). This version no longer abort in
- Contrary to mkinstalldirs, $(mkdir_p) was expecting exactly one
argument. This caused two kinds of failures:
- Rules installing data in a conditionally defined directory
failed when that directory was undefined. In this case no
argument was supplied.
- `make installdirs' failed, because several directories were
passed to $(mkdir_p). This was an issue only on platform
were $(mkdir_p) is implemented with `install-sh -d'.
$(mkdir_p) as been changed to accept 0 or more arguments, as
* Long-standing bugs:
- Fix an unexpected diagnostic occurring when users attempt
to override some internal variables that Automake appends to.
- aclocal now scans configure.ac for macro definitions (PR/319).
- Fix a portability issue with OSF1/Tru64 Make. If a directory
distributes files which are outside itself (this usually occurs
when using AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([../dir]) to use auxiliary files
from a parent package), then `make distcheck' fails due to an
optimization performed by OSF1/Tru64 Make in its VPATH handling.
- Fix another portability issue with Sun and OSF1/Tru64 Make.
In a VPATH-build configuration, `make install' would install
nobase_ files to wrong locations.
- Fix a Perl `uninitialized value' diagnostic occurring when
automake complains that a Texinfo file does not have a
- Erase config.status.lineno during `make distclean'. This file
can be created by config.status. Automake already knew about
configure.lineno, but forgot config.status.lineno.
- Distribute all files, even those which are built and installed
conditionally. This change affects files listed in conditionally
defined *_HEADERS and *_PYTHON variable (unless they are nodist_*)
as well as those listed in conditionally defined dist_*_DATA,
dist_*_JAVA, dist_*_LISP, and dist_*_SCRIPTS variables.
- Fix AM_PATH_LISPDIR to avoid \? in sed regular expressions; it
doesn't conform to POSIX.
- Normalize help strings for configure variables and options added
by Automake macros.
- Check for python2.4 in AM_PATH_PYTHON.
* Spurious failures in test suite:
- tests/libtool5.test, tests/ltcond.test, tests/ltcond2.test,
tests/ltconv.test: fix failures with CVS Libtool.
- tests/aclocal6.test: fix failure if autom4te.cache is disabled.
- tests/txinfo24.test, tests/txinfo25.test, tests/txinfo28.test:
fix failures with old Texinfo versions.
To generate a diff of this commit:
cvs rdiff -r1.44 -r1.45 pkgsrc/devel/automake/Makefile
cvs rdiff -r1.15 -r1.16 pkgsrc/devel/automake/distinfo
Please note that diffs are not public domain; they are subject to the
copyright notices on the relevant files.