Subject: Re: pkgsrc Interix 3.5/i386 bulk build results 20061219.1220
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 01/03/2007 12:44:09
On 1/3/07, Joerg Sonnenberger <> wrote:
> I don't want to hack thousands of packages and redundantly run the
> check in them for the sake of ancient/evil platforms.

But that's how pkgsrc is *designed to work*.  If you want to take up
the cause of changing pkgsrc's platform support design, put it on

> I don't
> mean it shouldn't be a package, but the need and feature set should be
> detected as part of the bootstrap.

The bootstrap should not install anything not tracked by the pkgdb --
and it should also *not* be necessary to keep updating the bootstrap
periodically.  Bootstrap should be a one shot deal, permanently.
That's why it now installs actual package entries for everything down
to bmake; it is then possible to update those via pkgsrc itself with
real package updates.

So we circle back around to detecting whether or not a given platform
support package is needed (and installed), and we're right back to
buildlink3/  Now, if there are some platform support
packages kept in the [BUILD_]DEPENDS of all packages via a
sledgehammer entry in mk/, that may well solve your issue, but that's
pretty evil too.

-- Todd Vierling <> <> <>