Subject: Re: Solaris /bin/ksh still broken
To: None <>
From: Roland Illig <>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 03/14/2006 18:46:26
Roland Illig wrote:
> Jonathan Perkin wrote:
>> * On 2006-03-14 at 14:04 GMT, Roland Illig wrote:
>> Ick, we can't seriously be recommending that as a legitimate fix?
> I think we can and should do that. The source code of /bin/ksh belongs
> to the things that are not published as part of OpenSolaris by Sun
> Microsystems. There must be some strong reason behind. :)
> The segmentation fault occurs in the function arg_build, which is called
> by sh_exec. There does not seem to be related source code in the
> publicly accessible web.

1. The bug does not occur when /bin/ksh is started with the -x option.

2. The bug does not occur when the

     if test -z "$show_help"; then

part is replaced with a

     case "$show_help" in "")

3. When I remove some parts of the large show_help block, the
segmentation fault occurs after some commands have been invoked.

Since this behavior is hard to describe and explain correctly, I suggest
that we discourage the use of /bin/ksh on Solaris altogether.