Subject: pre-build.local
To: None <pkgsrc-bulk@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 11/20/2005 16:05:05
Hi,

the pkgsrc guide says that this program is "executed as a &man.sh.1;
script". This is wrong.

It is actually sourced in and can overwrite any variables or shell
settings of the "build" script. Is that intended at all? To have a more
controlled environment for the "build" script I would like to implement
what the documentation says, that is to call

     /usr/bin/env BROKENF="${BROKENF}" /bin/sh mk/bulk/pre-build.local

This would also eliminate the need for exporting the BROKENF variable
globally. Oh, yes, that's another thing I want to achieve. Keep the
scope of the shell variables as small as possible. This makes code
reviews and documentation much easier. Just imagine you had to list all
environment variables that could influence one of the current programs
in mk/bulk. I can tell you it's hard work.

Roland