Subject: Re: redundant "make clean" when bulk building
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 09/19/2005 09:40:41
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Juan RP wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:54:18 +0200 (CEST)
> Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se> wrote:
>
>> 2. It does not work
>>     The dependency graph is calculated using "make show-depends-dirs"
>>     which makes it contain too few packages when you use PKGLIST.
>>     For example, setting PKGLIST=x11/kde3-i18n-uk will give you a
>>     list of 6 prerequisites, instead of the 58 prerequisites that
>>     are needed to build it.

> Agreed, I think we should remove the clean-depends calls and switch
> to pkgtools/pkgclean.

But fixing issue 2[*] above makes clean-depends (and thus also
pkgtools/pkgclean) unnecessary, provided we keep the "make clean" in
the bulk-package target.  This will now clean the local package only, so
it will be fast enough that it is not worth spending time on making it
faster [**].

    /Krister

[*] And that issue is a bug that should be fixed regardless of if
it help us with cleaning packages.

[**] Or rather, it is not slower than any invocation of make.  But if
we think it is worth our time to make things less maintainable in
order to speed up bulk builds, then there are many similar places that
would give us more benefit (although changing this to something equivalent
to "${RM} -rf ${WRKDIR}" will probably not cause much maintenance
problems, and will be faster than running pkgtools/pkgclean :)