Subject: Re: pkgsrc Linux 2.6.8-1-686/i386 bulk build results 2005-01-04
To: Min Sik Kim <minskim@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: pkgsrc-bulk
Date: 01/04/2005 16:39:55
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 05:23:56 -0600
Min Sik Kim <minskim@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> textproc/ispell-spanish            jmmv@NetBSD.org

The problem in this package is that it executes 'ispell -vv' to find the
location where files should be installed.  So... you already have an ispell
living in /usr/bin, right?  (Aside the one installed by pkgsrc).

A solution can be to symlink the right ispell in the buildlink directory.
If this is made "general" (from the yet non-existent buildlink3.mk file in
ispell-base), I'm afraid it can cause breakage similar to what we've seen
in perl.

(Well, frankly enough, I think that the above is the right solution, as
buildlink will eventually override the PATH to avoid finding non-expected
utilities, right? ;).

Anyway, this has made me wonder why we don't set a sane PATH automatically
from bsd.pkg.mk.  Indeed, we tweak the path, with lines such as:

MAKE_ENV+=              PATH=${PATH}:${LOCALBASE}/bin:${X11BASE}/bin

But this looks bogus to me.  Why not put LOCALBASE and X11BASE _before_
the actual PATH?  In fact, we should be using what we have installed
from pkgsrc, not something else the user may already have somewhere
else.  Can we change it?

(I'm not sure if a line such as "PREPEND_PATH+= ${X11BASE}/bin" will be
needed for LOCALBASE too.)

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>