Subject: Re: 3.1 -> 4.0, further issues
To: Nikola =?UTF-8?B?TGXEjWnEhw==?= <nikola.lecic@anthesphoria.net>
From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/31/2007 00:45:58
Nikola =?UTF-8?B?TGXEjWnEhw==?= wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:41:36 +0000 (UTC)
> Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>
> > I have discovered part of the issue and/or another problem: the
> > process of attempting to upgrade my NetBSD installation has b0rked up
> > the FreeBSD installation sitting on a primary partition next door.
> >
> > I discovered this by going into a fresh install far enough to see
> > where I was being prompted to install NetBSD. To my surprise, two
> > partitions were now marked by the installer as being of type NetBSD:
> > the primary one where FreeBSD had been (this was the one it was
> > defaulting to) and the logical one where I'd been booting NetBSD 3.x.
> >
> > IIRC, I have been through this before but it has been a long time.
> > Now I have two OSs I cannot boot into. I'm loath to blame the machine
> > and / or installer, since I'm sure they're both smarter than I am,
> > but I wish I knew where I went wrong.

I too had MBR problems between Free & Net BSDs
 http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/dell_latitude_xpi_p133st/#netbsd
Net didnt like Free's MBR, then Net trampled on Free's boot.

Maybe it was me, or FreeBSD or NetBSD, I don't know, there was no
camera on shoulder to trap guilty key strokes, but I was suprised.
( I've long known what F in Fdisk stands for ;-) but normaly one
trashes partition betwween MS or SCO or Linux & a BSD, not between BSDs.

( But I can't retest, sorry, Very slow laptop & small disc & no
cdrom, no ethernet, & SLIP connected, doing a make world (on local
disc) of FreeBSD-7 to debug various FreeBSD problems. )

Julian
--
Julian Stacey. Munich Consultant: BSD Unix Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.