Subject: 3.1 -> 4.0, further issues
To: DIST - NetBSD -users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/30/2007 02:07:17
Not my lucky day ...

I decided to try the upgrade again & now running into a different problem.
Unf. the installation program isn't (in my opinion) being explicit enough
about what I need to do to proceed. I hope my issues are of interest in
some way (e.g. maybe they will uncover s/t that will make the process
easier for some future user).

Here's what I am now getting after electing 'Full installation' for the
upgrade:

Command: /sbin/fsck_ffs -p -q /dev/rad0s3e
Hit Enter to continue
**(null)(vmsg)
Can't stat '/dev/rad0s3e'(No such file or directory) Can't stat '/dev/
rad0s3e'(No such file or directory) Can't stat /dev/rad0s3e: No such
file or directory
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rad0s3e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.

... I tried running fsck_ffs manually as the installer suggests, but (of
course) when I tried to run it on /dev/rad0s3e I got the same message as
previously reported. If I'm supposed to run fsck_ffs on something else, I
don't know what. I tried /dev/wd0 on a lark, but that didn't work.

So it appears something got corrupted somewhere. I'm sure I must have
caused this to happen, but I don't know how. It looks as though I may
have to freshly install NetBSD unless someone has suggestions - I went
Googling for this error message but nothing came back.

Thanks,

GB

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org