Subject: Re: updating from 3.1 -> 4.0
To: Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/29/2007 19:30:56
Glenn Becker wrote:

> Sorry if this is a stupid or oft-asked question ... I'd like to update
> my NetBSD installation from 3.1 to 4.0. Can I use the steps outlined here:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/updating.html
>
> across version numbers, or is there a different procedure for doing that
> (updating off a downloaded ISO burned to disk)?

I've just done this on a few systems and if it helps the procedure I
followed was:

1) Boot from 4.0 CD and choose to update the existing installation
2) Run postinstall(8) until it does not complain any more
3) Run etcupdate(8)

postinstall(8) will be run for you during the upgrade but it can't deal
with every situation (e.g. uid, gid issues) so I always run it
post-install anyway just to make sure there are no issues.  If it's your
first time with etcupdate I'd recommend running it with "-v".  Don't
forget about the usual caveat of doing a backup etc.

Also see:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-upgrading.html
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-4.0/i386/INSTALL.html (Assuming
it's i386 you're updating)