Subject: Re: Which file-system is good for power down?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/27/2007 20:46:08
On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:58:11PM +0800, Water NB wrote:
> I will setup a NetBSD server for many use: CVS, Samba, ...
> But our power is down every 1~2 week.
> Once power down occurs, the NetBSD server will check file system at next
> startup, it will take as long as 10 minutes.
> I have done a test on Linux (ext3), it take only 10 seconds to recover.
> So, I think ffs v1 is not suitable for my environment.
>
> Then, which file-system on NetBSD I should select?
> ffs v2? lfs? or others?
> Thanks for your suggestion!

If you're using a normal hard drive, use a small UPS that has enough
power to keep the computer running during a shutdown.  You can have your
box automatically shutdown when AC to the UPS is lost.

If that is not what you want, I would suggest you try to set up some
sort of a noncorruptable setup for the server where the boot device is a
CD or memory card with a memory filesystem for transient data.  On each
power-up, you get the same basic system.

Of course, this is only good for something like a firewall.  If you have
need for the server to be storing variable data to its own hard drive,
then you need a UPS.

Doug.