Subject: Re: Which file-system is good for power down?
To: Water NB <netbsd78@126.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/27/2007 17:41:35
On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:58:11PM +0800, Water NB wrote:
> I will setup a NetBSD server for many use: CVS, Samba, ...
> But our power is down every 1~2 week.
> Once power down occurs, the NetBSD server will check file system at next
> startup, it will take as long as 10 minutes.
> I have done a test on Linux (ext3), it take only 10 seconds to recover.
> So, I think ffs v1 is not suitable for my environment.

The right solution is to put your server on a small UPS, and use apcupsd
or nut to talk to the UPS so that your server shuts down cleanly on power
failure.  Then it will not have to check the filesystem at all when it
starts back up.

Also, if you don't do this, you should disable the write caches on your
disk drives, no matter what filesystem you use.  That will unfortunately
make them very slow.

Thor