Subject: Re: Which file-system is good for power down?
To: Water NB <netbsd78@126.com>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/27/2007 20:16:25
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:58:11 +0800
Water NB <netbsd78@126.com> wrote:

> I will setup a NetBSD server for many use: CVS, Samba, ...
> But our power is down every 1~2 week.
> Once power down occurs, the NetBSD server will check file system at next
> startup, it will take as long as 10 minutes.
> I have done a test on Linux (ext3), it take only 10 seconds to recover.
> So, I think ffs v1 is not suitable for my environment.
>
> Then, which file-system on NetBSD I should select?
> ffs v2? lfs? or others?
> Thanks for your suggestion!

If you reduce the number of inodes, the fsck(8) will be much faster.
This is done by passing additional arguments to newfs(8). I usually go
with -i 65536 or -i 131072. The default bytes-per-inode is usually much
smaller than what's typical for windows shares with mixed and/or media
files. Beware that this imposes an upper limit on the number of files
that the filesystem can contain. "df -i" shows the current inode usage.

LFS is nice when it works, but I can't recommend it for production
filesystems yet.