Subject: Re: Unable to boot "install-CD" of 4.0 "final"
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbert.fernandes@orange.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/23/2007 22:00:36
On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 09:43:35PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > Perhaps some very subtle difference (between controllers? disks?) makes the
> > problem.

I remember having troubles with this machine when I added the second
hard disk. It was using Windows XP because I played World of Warcraft from
it, and when I added the second disk I spent over one hour playing with
the BIOS and the hard-disk knobs behind to have the hard-disk appear.

I have to check those little knobs. I guess they are not set properly
and that's why NetBSD doesn't like it.

> One  difference between 3.x and 4.0 is that ACPI is now the default.

This is an old machine from 2001/2002. I guess its ACPI is not working
properly.

Removing the Plextor and installing the second hard-disk made it appear.

It's just to make a big file-server out from this box :)

--
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; find ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ;
yes ; fsck ; umount ; sleep