Subject: Re: Tips for prolonging solid state drives?
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/17/2007 21:47:38
matthew sporleder said on 17/12/07 15:32:

> I'm using mfs for /var/log and don't have too many problems with it.
> I had to trick some stuff into touching files before apps would work,
> but it wasn't that bad.
>
> http://www.mspo.com/netbsdreadmostly.html
>
> Also follow the notes I make in there about:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-embed/2007/06/12/0000.html  <--
> read-only stuff.
>
> Right now I'm working on cleaning up /var/spool and will update my
> article when I do.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the links. I now have /tmp, /var/run and /var/log mounted as
mfs filesystems as per your notes. At boot up, syslogd complains about
not being able to write to /var/log despite a critical_filesystems_local
entry in /etc/rc.conf, but everything seems OK. I plan on digging
through /etc/defaults to see if syslogd starting up can be delayed until
all filesystems have been mounted.

With /home mounted on an SD card in the external slot, the internal
drive in the Eee should be pretty much untouched during normal
operation, so it's time to install a few packages!

Regards,

Chris