Subject: Re: NetBSD on Asus's EeePC
To: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/16/2007 23:31:30
--HSQ3hISbU3Um6hch

Hi,

BTW, sorry for the lack of update on the subject, but actually there is
little to report beside the lack of progress.

The driver for the Ethernet chip (which is the most incredibly fucked up
chip one could possibly imagine in this century;  I was with the OpenBSD
folks at OpenCon in Venice the other day, and Theo jokingly suggested I
renamed the driver to bcopy(4) instead of lii(4)) has the nasty bug that
a few big packets received is enough to make it freeze the whole machine
solid.

The wifi chip needs a new HAL even madwifi doesn't have yet, so when
there is such a thing, an update of ath(4) and net80211(9) will be
needed, as well as an update of all wifi-related drivers (fun, fun,
fun).

I'm working on it with Matt Fleming (mjf@netbsd.org), if you are willing
to get your hands dirty and debug things with us, you're welcome to
contact us.

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 10:15:59PM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:
[...]
> However, after setting the BIOS on the Eee to boot from the memory
> stick, it boots straight into the Xandros Linux installation. In the
> meantime I'll try NetBSD 4.0 RC5, but are there any steps (such as
> further settings in the BIOS) that are required to get the installation
> going?

It probably gets the geometry of the key wrong.  I had no real trouble
booting from USB though, either through a USB stick or from the card
reader.

You probably want to get the (BIOS) geometry as seen by the Eee with
fdisk on Linux, then use it to prepare your NetBSD installation.

You can also netboot a NetBSD INSTALL kernel and get the sets from
another USB stick.  Tricky but it works.

--=20

--HSQ3hISbU3Um6hch

--HSQ3hISbU3Um6hch--