Subject: Re: NetBSD 4.0_RC5 : can't ypbind to NIS server ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2007 12:16:41
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 10:56:41AM +0000, Gilbert Fernandes wrote:

> I have a tcpdump on my interface. Everything is set properly.
> There is no firewall inside the network.

I was more thinking about something like hosts_access(5).

> domainame is set
> YP server can be ping by IP or name
> rpcbind is running
> ypbind gets stuck forever
>
> tcpdump shows I send a UDP packet on port 111 (sunrpc) to the
> YP server (I have tried with and without -insecure defined)
>
> The YP server with a tcpdump on its interface does show my
> request is coming in

> But the YP server NEVER sends a response to my IP. Since all
> other machines on the network do get answers from the YP,
> it seems NetBSD's ypbind is doing something different.

1. What IS the server?

2. look at ypserv's debug information (on NetBSD, run ypserv as "ypserv -l";
   it's output would be logged with LOG_DAEMON / LOG_ERR,LOG_WARNING,LOG_INFO

If ypserv does not answer, there must be some reason for it, and it should
be able to tell you.

3. show us the network configurations of the server and  your box.
(ifconfig -an, netstat -rn at least)

	-is