Subject: Re: NetBSD 4.0_RC5 : can't ypbind to NIS server ?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <fernandes@math.univ-paris13.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2007 11:04:45
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> 2. can you ping the YP server? what does the arp cache show?

Yes. I can ping the IP of the server, its alias or its name
Those three methods do work.

Server is defined inside /etc/defaultdomain
I also have ypinit -c which did put the alias of the YP
server inside /var/yp/binding/

(i have /var/yp/binding/apollon.laga.ypservers which does
contain apollon and inside hosts i have
192.168.70.6 apollon.laga apollon)

> 1. did you check this _on the YP server_? (That is, does it get the
> requests you're sending?)

Yes. I have a tcpdump on the NetBSD (shows a request goes out in UDP
to YP server on port 111 which is sunrpc)

YP server also has a tcpdump which does see my packet/request going in.

NOW.. The YP Server tcpdump shows NO answer goes out.

So we think the NetBSD ypbind is sending something not understood
by the YP server (openbsd on the same machine same hardware with
the same config did bind)

> 3. does the YP server show any messages about the incident?

No error message. My request goes in, nothing goes out.

> 4. what about filtering on the YP server?

There is no filtering anywhere inside the network I am.
No firewall on me or YP server, no filtering on either side.

What I dont understand is the openbsd could bind on this box, and the
same config with NetBSD does not.

I removed the openbsd because the machine is recent and any use of the
CDRom did freeze the box. I installed NetBSD 4.0_RC5 (3.1 doesn't see
the Gigabit ethernte card) and I can't bind to the YP.