Subject: NetBSD 4.0_RC5 : can't ypbind to NIS server ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <fernandes@math.univ-paris13.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2007 10:03:46
Hello

At work I have a new PC which only works under NetBSD 4.0_RC5 and not
3.1 (and I have to turn sound card off of the kernel gets stuck on boot).

I have a YP server here and I can't get to ypbind to it from NetBSD.
I have an OpenBSD machine and Debian machine, and both can bind to the
YP server.

To configure I have done this :

1. edited /etc/rc.conf
    and inserted the following lines :

    rpcbind=YES
    ypbind=YES

2. i have edited my /etc/fstab to mount three partitions
    exported as NFS and they are mounted and accessible

3. i have used ypinit -c
    and gave it the machine which is the NIS server
    (I can ping it)

4. i have edited /etc/hosts and inserted a line to put
    the IP of the NIS server, FQDN and alias

I can ping the NIS server by its name, FQDN or IP.
ypinit -c created the file where the NIS server name is visible

I start the services. rpcbind OK
ypbind : gets stuck forever

If I reboot, same thing.

I have searched with Google and found this page :

http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_set_up_NFS_and_NIS

There's nothing new there. For the client, what I did on the OpenBSD box
  was editing the /etc/hosts to insert the NIS there, put rpcbind and
ypbind to YES in /etc/rc.conf and use ypinit -c, give it the NIS IP or
name and then start the two services and it works.

On the NetBSD box I can't get it to work at all.

What did I forgot ??

--
Gilbert Fernandes