Subject: Re: Request For Comments!! POSIX atomic mv
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2007 18:51:23
--9crTWz/Z+Zyzu20v

George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
=20
> How is the netbsd behavior explained that I can
> rename the mode 555 dir in my home, but not if I'm
> moving it to my mode 755 tmp at the same time?

setup-XXX is a directory, so it contains an entry called '..'.  When
you're trying to move setup-XXX to tmp/final2, setup-XXX/.. will change.
Or rather, would change, if you had permission to do so.  Since the mode
is 555, you can't change the dir, so can't change '..', so the mv will
fail.

-Jan

--=20
"The last time anybody made a list of the top hundred character
attributes of New Yorkers, common sense snuck in at number 79."

--9crTWz/Z+Zyzu20v

--9crTWz/Z+Zyzu20v--