Subject: Re: SPDIF and NetBSD 4.0?
To: Giles Lean <giles.lean@pobox.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2007 21:38:48
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 01:10:24PM +1100, Giles Lean wrote:

> P.S. I confess I was considerably surprised the first time that I tested
> alternate digital sources and found that they weren't all the same.  I
> /did/ do some blind testing at that time, and the differences were
> agreed indepenently by multiple people.
>
> Being a software guy, I offer no suggestions as to why one digital
> source sounds better than another.  Psychoacoustics is not my field.

Oddly, it's part of my field (cognitive psychology) though, I will
confess, not _my_ part of my field.

On the other hand, if _you_ weren't blind to which source was which when
you did "some blind testing...agreed independently by multiple people", as
someone who does design psychological experiments from time to time it
would be my opinion that we're back in mystical hardwood and oxygen free
copper land again.