Subject: Re: panic: lfs_nextseg: no clean segments
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/08/2007 21:10:09
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:52:33 +0100
Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 05:16:26PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > This is on 4.0rc4 on an i386 domU.  I get that followed by
> >
> > Stopped in pid 223.1 (lfs_cleanerd) at  netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:popl
> >
> > at mount time.
> >
> > I suspect that the easiest thing to do is to newfs the partition,
> > and possibly to convert it to ffs.  I use lfs for my pkgsrc, src,
> > and obj partitions, so I don't think I'll lose much.
>
> If you want to try to save some data, have you tried dump_lfs?
>
> Also, mount_lfs has a -n option to not start the cleaner.

It was my pkgsrc partition, so I gave up and ran newfs.  Arguably, I
should have saved distfiles, but nothing else on it was worth
preserving.  -n might have helped -- I could mount the file system
read-only -- but fundamentally, the disk was confused.  I ran fsck on
it, and fsck was suggesting assorted negative numbers for various
values...  (Sorry, I didn't note what they were.)