Subject: Re: package: audio/rip trouble.[SEC = UNCLASSIFIED]
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz@dezsieben.kh-22.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/08/2007 15:58:22
Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:

> 1. can anyone do a test of their install of audio/rip
> for me please?

Tested 10 CDs, encountered no problems on NetBSD/i386 3.0.

> Connecting to CDDB...Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
> at /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/CDDB_get.pm line 396, <GEN0>
> line 1.

CDDB returns a line like this:

  210 Found exact matches, list follows (until terminating `.')

Line 396 of rip determines whether everything went well by testing for status
codes beginning with "2".
Your error message concerning line 396 means that the variable $return has
not been initialized, ie, that the first line received from CDDB could
not be received properly.

> query error at cddb db: freedb.freedb.org:888
> at /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/CDDB_get.pm line 397, <GEN0>
> line 1.

This confuses me. It looks to me as if rip uses the HTTP protocol
with port 80 by default (see line 135 of /usr/pkg/bin/rip).
Why does it use port 888 in your case, ie the original CDDB port and protocol?

Ah, now I see the same problem as you. I switched from "http" mode to
"cddb" mode in /usr/pkg/bin/rip and the connection was refused.
It looks as if port 888 is deprecated in favor of port 8880 according to
the freedb FAQ but connections to 8880 are also refused, for whatever
reason.

The question still is: why does your version of rip use "cddb" mode?

ciao
     Klaus