Subject: Software for off-site backups
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/17/2007 11:59:22
	Hello,

I'm looking for a software for NetBSD to create off-site backups of my
server at home. Because the upstream bandwidth of my A-DSL line isn't
that high I'm searching for something which supports deltas and
compression like "rsync" does.

Why am I not using "rsync"? I want to keep multiple copies on the
target system (also NetBSD) without wasting too much diskspace.
It would also be nice to be able to preserve the ownership of a
directory or file without having to use "root" on the remote machine.

I've considered a script which does something like this:
1.) Clone existing backup into a new directory by creating identical
    directories and hardlinks to the existing files.
2.) Use "rsync" to update that.

But I'm wondering whether somebody else has already done that. And
it would of course not preserve the ownerships.

	Kind regards