Subject: Re: Unicode text editor
To: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/16/2007 13:06:54
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Magnus Eriksson wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>
>> Whenever I have edited UTF-8 in the past, I've used sam and wily.
>>
>> I believe that mined should handle Unicode - I've not used it in anger,
>> though.
>
>   Shame - I suspect that holding up to editing in anger is going to be one
> of the key requirements here.  :-)
>
>   Or to put it another way, I think that was a reference which completely
> went over my head.

 	Its an English idiom whos meaning is generally acepted as "to use
 	with serious intent", rather than frivolously. I believe its
 	derived from "firing a shot in anger", that is firing a gun
 	intending to kill someone.

>   mined certainly meets the criterion of few dependencies, I'll take a
> look at that.  From a quick scan, the other two seem unique enough that
> I'll have to investigate them as well.  Thanks!
>
>   Little surprised about the lack of response though.  Are there really
> that few users left?  Oh well.

 	I think all the vi and emacs users just skipped based on your
 	comment (I use the nvi in pkgsrc with options 'ncursesw') when
 	I need to edit non ASCII data.