Subject: Re: Unicode text editor
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@gmail.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/16/2007 10:58:30
On 15/11/2007, Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW - some of your code (lib/librefuse for example) have non-ASCII
> characters.  I think it's against NetBSD code convention. :)

There is one character (the "Copyright symbol") in the leading comment
block, which could be considered to be "non-ASCII" i.e. not in the
range 0 to 127.

For the reason why I do that, please take a look at the wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

specifically the last sentence of the part about the copyright symbol,
(which unfortunately needs a citation):

"Prior to 1989, use of a copyright notice =97 consisting of the letter C
inside of a circle (that is, "(c)"), the abbreviation "Copr.", or the
word "Copyright", followed by the year of the first publication of the
work and the name of the copyright holder =97 was part of United States
statutory requirements.[1][2] Several years may be noted in the case
of multiple completion dates - e.g., in the case of ongoing editing.
The letter C inside of parentheses ("(c)") has *never* been an
officially recognized designator." [their emphasis - agc]

Whether or not that falls into NetBSD 's coding conventions or not,
it's there for protection.

Regards,
Alistair