Subject: Unicode text editor
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/14/2007 20:57:35
Hello.

   Can anyone here recommend a decent and relatively dependency-free text
editor that handles Unicode?  Preferably a graphical one, but if I have to
run it in an mlterm, that might be acceptable too.

  (But right now, running in an mlterm means I'm stuck with either fancy
IME generated text, or plain ASCII -- any ISO 8859-1 characters I type
turn into mojibake.)

   What I *think* I want is something GTK based, to go most painlessly with
my uim setup, but I'm open to suggestions from people who know more about
this than me.

  (I started installing gedit, but ^C'ed out after it started diving a
little too deeply into the dependency tree for my tastes.  Tried yudit, it
does nothing but crash.)

   I probably should also mention that I'm not a vi or emacs person.

MAgnus