Subject: RAIDframe initialization / overlapping dump-device
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Petar Bogdanovic <list+2007@smokva.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/14/2007 12:26:23
Hi,

raidctl(8) says:

	``-i (...) MUST be done for all RAID sets before the RAID device
	     is labeled and before file systems are created on the RAID
	     device.''

I usually don't question sentences which begin with a uppercase must but
since I forgot to initialize my raid0 before doing all the labels and
file-systems it makes me wonder why my system works, resp. why it could
fail without a prior initialization.

The system is (re-)writing parity as I write this, btw.

My second question is about the dump-device topic mentioned in the
NetBSD-Guide:

	``The normal swap area in our case is on raid0b but this can not
	  be used for crash dumps as process scheduling is stopped when
	  dumps happen. Therefore we must use a real disk device. However,
	  nothing stops us from defining a dump area which overlaps with
	  raid0b.''

If no `overlapping real disk device' is defined on wd[01], I assume
savecore(8) would eventually fail to do a core-dump but how fatal is
this on a remote server with no debugging possibilities?

Thank you very much,

Petar