Subject: Re: RC1 problem Re: a very slow 2.2Ghz amd64
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/05/2007 22:42:19
On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:23:05PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:09:50PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > I'm seeing the same thing with my Sun X2100.  Performs nicely with NetBSD 3.x,
> > but slow like a dog with NetBSD 4.x.  I'm still having it with 4.0_RC3.
> >
> > I've attached dmesg'es from 3.x and 4.x kernels.
> >
> > George: did you find the "SATA emulate PATA" option in your X2100's BIOS?  I
> > don't see any such setting.  Are you using ahcisata(4) now?
> >
> > Another problem I have with NetBSD 4.x is that the box crashes instantly when
> > running estd.
>

> Interestingly, both problems seem to go away if I disable ehci0 via userconf(4).

Disabling either one of ehci, ohci or acpi makes both problems go away.  There
must be some conflict between them...

> It wasn't detected by NetBSD 3.1.

... because it wasn't enabled in GENERIC on that branch. :-)  I disbled ehci
again for now because I need it the least of the three (the only USB device
I'll be connecting to this box is a keyboard).

Now I only need to figure out how to enable AHCI support for my SATA disks.
The BIOS seems to have no option for this...

	Geert