Subject: Re: changing to NetBSD, still not quite sure... :-/
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/31/2007 20:28:39
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:14:24 -0500 (CDT) Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Another alternative is to use open source gnash instead
> (pkgsrc/multimedia/gnash). But I haven't used it in a while and I
> understand it doesn't support a lot.

There were a few runs for an open Flash player. Most of them were given up
pretty soon after they were started. Not sure why but I'm guessing that
reverse engineering Flash wasn't easy and Adobe probably wasn't keen to
help either. Maybe they were also threatening to start a law suite.

IIRC gnash can display everything up to Flash7. People have told me that
gnash is also pretty unstable. Haven't checked that for myself though.

Regards,
Chris