Subject: Re: changing to NetBSD, still not quite sure... :-/
To: Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/28/2007 15:47:43
On 10/28/07, Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> - keep the system up to date
>   Under FreeBSD I did this with cvsup and rebuilding the system

You made a whole lot of points, and I could probably respond to most
with a half baked answer, but this one I think you really need to dig
into.

The build.sh script at the base of the src tree is really, really
freakin cool. Grab the entire source tree, make your build directories
(obj, tools, release, dest), and do a release. Sit back and snicker
and other operating systems then. It's really, really nice. I got away
from FreeBSD because I just didn't like upgrades as much. One thing,
not all archs have an install kernel, and I normally like to use it
for upgrades but it's not a huge deal if you can't. Just a few extra
minutes of fiddling. Upgrades are a piece of cake.

Try it, you'll like it.

There are downsides though. I'm not really much of a C coder, so when
there are problems I can't really whine because I can't fix them
myself. I opened up a new bug which may make me decide to go back to
FreeBSD, I really need it to work. So it's not all fun and games.

Andy