Subject: Re: Changing to NetBSD
To: Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
From: Francisco Valladolid Hdez. <ficovh@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/23/2007 16:03:34
Hi.

--- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 10:11:58AM -0400, Brian A.
> Seklecki wrote:
>
> > > - OpenOffice
> >
> > OO.org 2.x requires Java to build.  Both are
> flagged for-i386-only.
> >
> > I will pay for functional OO2.x and Java on amd64,
> if someone wants to
> > ballpark the man hours to make i386 linux
> emulation work on amd64
> >
> > Oh and I'll double up for Evolution and gFTP.
>
> Debian has OO and gFTP (don't know about Evolution)
> in amd64.  Can
> NetBSD amd64 run linux amd64?

I have a AMD64 machine, then I setup the NetBSD i386
port on it, so I have all apps for i386 in my amd64
machine (indluding flash, java, etc.)

Some screnshots running java on NetBSD 4 Beta for it
are here:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1407/1204860411_6afca35acf_b.jpg

it is very stable system really.

Regards.

> For simplicity, could you set up a chroot and
> install debian into it
> with debootstrap then use debian's package tool
> (aptitude) to install
> OO, gFTP, whatever, then run those apps from within
> NetBSD?
>
> Does NetBSD have something like Debian's schroot
> that allows normal
> users to run apps as themselves within the chroot?
>

> Doug.

---
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! - 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)