Subject: Re: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/2007 12:44:28
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Fri_Oct__5_12:44:28_2007-1

At Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:01:14 +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:
>=20
> Yes, I've explained all this to them and they know.  As long as I can=20
> keep the thing going on a VM, it's mostly academic though - the system=20
> is essentially static, and as long as I can keep a consistant VM=20
> environment for it it will probably outlast the business.

Someone needs to do a full cost-benefit analysis for them -- one that
shows the benefits of a full rewrite in a more modern and more portable
database environment.  :-)

Ratcheting old applications into an ever more virtual world has
significant costs that go way beyond just your time to implement the
virtual environment in a production-usable manner (and whatever capital
costs and expenditures that might be required for the virtual
environment hosting software and hardware).

There could also be tremendous savings available long-term should the
application be re-written to meet current and perceived future needs.

BTW, I would most seriously try hardest to make it work with direct
kernel emulation.  It should work, and that actually gives you the most
flexibility in the long run.

Also, I don't think it's scary at all that an airport would be using a
legacy application as their main operations system.  They are apparently
at least aware enough of the issues to be willing to do something to
make sure they can keep things going should the current hardware
platform go up in smoke.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>