Subject: Re: a very slow 2.2Ghz amd64
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/2007 10:38:25
Hello,

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:33:10PM -0000, De Zeurkous wrote:
>On Thu, October 4, 2007 18:56, George Georgalis wrote:
>>
>> viaide0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0
>> viaide0: NVIDIA nForce4 IDE Controller (rev. 0xf2)
>
>Your very problem, right there. The nForce ATA controllers are complete
>crap. Known issue, go bug 'NVIDIA' about it...

well the thing is, I have an identical box in production with
netbsd-3 and it doesn't have a problem compared to this RC1 box.

I looked in BIOS but didn't see any "sata emulate pata" options.
maybe the bios is different on this box.  I'm going to try
rebuilding this host with -3 and see if I get any improvement.

>Friggin' Machines!

I heard that. I waste a ton of time going through pci cards and
other crap trying the get the damn devices up. It's a complete
waste of time.

there should be a consortium, or open hardware certified sticker.

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><