Subject: Re: a very slow 2.2Ghz amd64
To: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
From: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2007 23:06:09

On Oct 4, 2007, at 8:56 PM, George Georgalis wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 05:13:53PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> In article <20071004154314.GB21817@run.galis.org>,
>> George Georgalis  <george@galis.org> wrote:
>>> I've got an odd problem, a 2.2Ghz amd64 is compiling etc about 1/4
>>> the speed I'd have expected. eg autoconf tests are taking between
>>> 1 and 2 seconds each. all compile processes are pretty slow.
>>>
>>> The dmesg is below, there are a lot of not configured lines,
>>> is one of them causing the slowdown?  Is there something I can
>>> disable in bios? (BTW this is a Sun X2100)
>>>
>>> // George
>>
>> run 'systat vm' and see if any of the interrupt numbers is growing
>> too fast.
>
> The only thing that seems odd is sys time taking 99% of cpu when
> starting spamd (spamassassin) from pkgsrc, which took nearly a
> minute to start...
>
>   99.1% Sy   0.9% Us   0.0% Ni   0.0% In   0.0% Id    pages
> |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |

> could this have something to do with acpi speedstep (this is rc1)?
> how can I check the actual clock rate the system is running at?

sysctl machdep.speedstep :) or something similar.

> this (from top) is also odd...
>
>    16 root      18    0     0K 9488K syncer    51:18  3.91%  3.91%
> [ioflush]
>
> that process seems to be keeping the load above .8; there are no
> io problems in dmesg...  Oh,
>
> viaide0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0
> viaide0: NVIDIA nForce4 IDE Controller (rev. 0xf2)
> viaide0: bus-master DMA support present
> viaide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
> viaide0: primary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 14 (irq 14)
> atabus0 at viaide0 channel 0
> viaide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
> viaide0: secondary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 15 (irq 15)
>
> wd0 at atabus2 drive 0: <ST380013AS>
> wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
> wd0: 76319 MB, 155061 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x
> 156301488 sectors
> wd0: 32-bit data port
> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/
> 133)
> wd0(viaide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
> (using DMA)
>

> I thought since I had Ultra/133, I was okay. Is "compatibility
> mode" my problem? Do I need sata controler to fix?

I don't think so, because non io operations took to much time ,too.
If I understand you correctly.

> // George
>

> --
> George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><

Regards
Adam Hamsik
jabber: haad@jabber.org
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto