Subject: Re: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2007 09:53:57
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Carl Brewer wrote:

> Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 10:53 +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I've got a client with an old SCO Openserver5 box running a
>>> mission-critical app (it's an airport and it runs their operations, scary
>>> ... anyway ...)
>>
>> Don't we have the ability to emulate SCO/OpenServer binaries?:
>>
>>         compat_ibcs2(8) - setup procedure for running binaries that
>>         conform to the Intel Binary Compatibility Standard 2, e.g. SCO
>>         Unix and others derived from AT&T SVR3.
>
> I could give it a try, it's an old Progress (4GL) database, but I'd rather

As long as it doesn't require any special kernel hardware interfaces, and
just regular old POSIX I/O, you may have luck.  I've never used it before.

I want to cane an old Lucent AUDIX Voicemail system that runs on SCO
Openserver 4 or 5 (Pentium MMX Motherboard), but it has all of these
exotic 32bit ISA/EISA interfaces into the PBX, so I cant migrate to
NetBSD (it would be more-clostly to pay someone to port those drivers)

~~BAS

PS. AUDIX is now "Avaya Intuity"

> run it in a VM for the reasons explained earlier - easy to back up, easy to
> move and make essentially independent of hardware issues.
> They'll probably be running this thing for another 15 years and I want to
> protect them as best I can (yes, I've told them to replace the system ...)

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

     "Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
     You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
     ~Maynard James Keenan