Subject: Re: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2007 13:07:17
Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 10:53 +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've got a client with an old SCO Openserver5 box running a
>> mission-critical app (it's an airport and it runs their operations,
>> scary ... anyway ...)
>
> Don't we have the ability to emulate SCO/OpenServer binaries?:
>
>         compat_ibcs2(8) - setup procedure for running binaries that
>         conform to the Intel Binary Compatibility Standard 2, e.g. SCO
>         Unix and others derived from AT&T SVR3.

I could give it a try, it's an old Progress (4GL) database, but I'd
rather run it in a VM for the reasons explained earlier - easy to back
up, easy to move and make essentially independent of hardware issues.
They'll probably be running this thing for another 15 years and I want
to protect them as best I can (yes, I've told them to replace the system
...)