Subject: Re: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2007 20:25:01
On Feb 24,  7:43am, Carl Brewer wrote:
} Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
} > On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 10:53 +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:
}
} >> I've got a client with an old SCO Openserver5 box running a
} >> mission-critical app (it's an airport and it runs their operations,
} >> scary ... anyway ...)
} >
} > Don't we have the ability to emulate SCO/OpenServer binaries?:
} >
} >         compat_ibcs2(8) - setup procedure for running binaries that
} >         conform to the Intel Binary Compatibility Standard 2, e.g. SCO
} >         Unix and others derived from AT&T SVR3.
}
} I could give it a try, it's an old Progress (4GL) database, but I'd
} rather run it in a VM for the reasons explained earlier - easy to back
} up, easy to move and make essentially independent of hardware issues.
} They'll probably be running this thing for another 15 years and I want
} to protect them as best I can (yes, I've told them to replace the system
} ...)

     Are they aware that SCO has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
protection and that there is a very good chance that SCO will be out of
business within a year?  There is also the question of whether SCO will
be able to run on hardware coming out in the next five years nevermind
15.  The only way it would be able to run is in an emulator and even
that could be iffy.  They really need to start planning to replace it
now.

}-- End of excerpt from Carl Brewer