Subject: Re: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2007 20:17:56
On Feb 24,  7:21am, Carl Brewer wrote:
} John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Feb 24,  5:28am, Carl Brewer wrote:
} >
} > } I want to move it onto new hardware and have some sort of reliable back
} > } end and easy backup system.  I thought it might be good to run the SCO
} > } system in a VM of some sort - I don't think xen will work, as the guest
} > } OS needs to be aware of it, and old SCO boxes are highly unlikely to be.
} >
} >      That's not entirely true any more.  If you have one of the newer
} > processors with support for VMs then Xen can handle guests that don't
} > know about it.
}
} The 'new' box is an oldish (4 years?) Compaq ML350 G3, with a Xeon in it
} from that era, pre-VM aware CPU I think.

     Yeah, most likely.

}
} > } But, I've read some reports of VMware hosting SCO Openserver 5 with
} > } success, and noted in pkgsrc that there's an emulators/vmware3 package.
} > }
} > } Attempting to make this work on a NetBSD 3.1 box with a current grab of
} > } pkgsrc gives me this error at 'make install' time :
} >
} >      I believe there is some kind of issue with it on NetBSD 3.x.  You
} > need to use a version of -current.  However, due to changes in the
} > kernel, it must be prior to 20060514 (May 14th, 2006).
}
} Messy.

     Unfortunately.  Somebody<TM> really needs to write a new
vmware-module.

} > } install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/linuxrtc: open: No such file or directory
} > } install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmmon: open: No such file or directory
} > } install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnet: open: No such file or directory
} > } install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnetif: open: No such file or directory
} > } *** Error code 1
} >
} >      Kind of hard to tell what's wrong here.
}
} Yeah, it didn't tell me much more than that.  Maybe I just go with
} CentOS or some other OS that VMware works with, unless there's a better
} way?
}
} This is the make install error in its entirity :
}
} ylil-host: {94} make install
} => Bootstrap dependency digest>=20010302: digest-20070803 found
} ===> Installing for vmware-module-3.2.1.8
} [...]
} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/linuxrtc: open: No such file or directory
} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmmon: open: No such file or directory
} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnet: open: No such file or directory
} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnetif: open: No such file or directory
} *** Error code 1

     It looks like this is the code that's failing:

        @cd ${WRKSRC}/rc.d && for f in linuxrtc vmmon vmnet vmnetif; do \
                ${SED}  -e 's,@PREFIX@,${PREFIX},' < $$f > $$f.patched; \
                ${INSTALL_SCRIPT} $$f.patched ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/$$f; \
        done

Make sure that /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d exists.

}-- End of excerpt from Carl Brewer