Subject: Re: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2007 19:22:50
On Feb 24,  5:28am, Carl Brewer wrote:
}
} I've got a client with an old SCO Openserver5 box running a
} mission-critical app (it's an airport and it runs their operations,
} scary ... anyway ...)

     Yeah, that is rather scary.

} I want to move it onto new hardware and have some sort of reliable back
} end and easy backup system.  I thought it might be good to run the SCO
} system in a VM of some sort - I don't think xen will work, as the guest
} OS needs to be aware of it, and old SCO boxes are highly unlikely to be.

     That's not entirely true any more.  If you have one of the newer
processors with support for VMs then Xen can handle guests that don't
know about it.

} But, I've read some reports of VMware hosting SCO Openserver 5 with
} success, and noted in pkgsrc that there's an emulators/vmware3 package.
}
} Attempting to make this work on a NetBSD 3.1 box with a current grab of
} pkgsrc gives me this error at 'make install' time :

     I believe there is some kind of issue with it on NetBSD 3.x.  You
need to use a version of -current.  However, due to changes in the
kernel, it must be prior to 20060514 (May 14th, 2006).

} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/linuxrtc: open: No such file or directory
} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmmon: open: No such file or directory
} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnet: open: No such file or directory
} install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnetif: open: No such file or directory
} *** Error code 1

     Kind of hard to tell what's wrong here.

}-- End of excerpt from Carl Brewer