Subject: A new approach to install CGD system. A suggestion.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: C. K. <ck74@operamail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/01/2007 07:29:39
Hello!

I have just created a CGD system on my new notebook, but somehow different
than proposed way in Chapter 13:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-cgd.html

I have different approach for "13.3.1. Preparing the disk" section:

Lets assume you have an empty disk or you have two free *primary
partitions*.

1- Prepare 2 primary partitions. One of them should be around 10 GB and the
other maybe ie; 10 GB or even 100+ GB, up to you.

2- Install NetBSD 4 onto 1st primary partition. Do not create seperate
partitions, just only swap.

3- Follow instructions shown in "13.3.2" and "13.3.3" to create CGD on 2nd
primary partition i have mentioned. Now create /tmp /swap /var /usr /home
inside CGD as you wish (using disklabel / newfs)

4- Once you finished reboot and "boot -s".

5- Now, copy /usr /var /home on 1st primary partition to /usr2 /var2 /home2
on 1st primary partition (backing up)

6- Edit fstab, make sure netbsd partitions in CGD will be mounted to ie;
/usr3 /var3 /home3. Reboot.

7- Copy /usr2 /var2 /home2 to 2nd primary partition, into CGD system (to
/usr2 /var2 /home2). We are now restoring data into CGD.

6- Edit fstab as in mentioned in "13.3.4". This time /usr /var /home will be
mounted to its new place in CGD system.

8- Reboot

You can get dump of netbsd partitions while backing up and restoring too,
the better.

RESULT:
Now interestingly, you have two seperate NetBSD system. If you disable CGD
system in rc.conf, it uses /usr /var /home that installed onto first
partition. If you enable CGD, these are mounted to same ones in CGD system.

You can use different kernels for each (by typing boot netbsd.primary) of
course. You can even use different /etc folders too, but you should change
its name each time you want to interchange.

I have just tested on 4.99.31

Regards,
CK