Subject: Re: NetBSD NSF server with OS X NFS clients
To: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/27/2007 21:05:48
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 01:00:55PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 13:33 Uhr +0300 13.09.2007, Jukka Marin wrote:
> >NFS was working just fine between NetBSD systems and an embedded linux
> >box.  Then a Macbook entered the house and the problems began.  First,
> >I had to allow mount requests from ports >=1023.  Then, I noticed that
> >files with umlaut characters (ö, ä, Ö, Ä on my case) in their names
> >cannot be accessed by OS X.  Some kind of a Latin-1 vs. UTF thing.
>
> Depending on how much you actually rely on genuine NFS properties,
> you may be happier with Netatalk. I don't know when I last mounted an
> NFS share on my PowerBook...

First, thanks to all who responded to my post.

Today, I finally installed netatalk, but despite of trying several
combinations of options in /usr/pkg/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf, I can't
make the ISO-8859-1 characters of the file server show properly on the
OS X client.  They look more like Chinese to me in Finder, for example.
;-)

The good news is that now the Mac software (like vlc) can actually access
the files (with NFS, the files showed up in file selector windows, but
when you selected a file, the application could not find it).

I have "-unixcodepage ISO-8859-1 -volcharset ISO-8859-1" in my afpd
config, but these options did not help.  Hmm, in syslog I see lots of
messages like

Sep 27 19:00:42 pyy afpd[16658]: Conversion from UTF8 to MAC_ROMAN for
p\366\366p\344\344p\345\345 (440) failed.

I guess afpd still believes the local file names are using UTF8
although everything is ISO-8859-1 coded..

--

I don't do any kind of user mapping at the moment - I'm trying to share
our mp3 and video library with the Mac as a read only disk.  If I ever

  -jm