Subject: iSCSI Target and raw devices
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/26/2007 00:40:35
Hello NetBSD  Users / Hackers
   I posted this on the FreeBSD-Hackers mailing list earlier. I was wondering
if the NetBSD community would be able to help since its the same software.
I have not tried this on my NetBSD server but its on my list of things to do.

    I was looking into setting up the Intel / NetBSD iSCSI Target port
on FreeBSD 6-STABLE . The first question I have is related to the use of
the iscsi-target port on FreeBSD. In the original docs, bundled with the
Intel source, Intel had an example of setting up the target to have
direct access to a raw device. Below is a snippet from

With ufsdisk and ufsdisk_mmap you can directly access a device in /dev
by creating a symbolic link in /tmp to point to the appropriate device.
For example:

    "ln -s /dev/sdd /tmp/"

Does anyone know off hand if this works in FreeBSD or NetBSD?

  The second question what iscsi initiators are out there ? Along time
ago Lucent had iscsi software for FreeBSD 4.x which has initiator
support but this has a restrictive license and does not support anything
newer then 4.9-RELEASE .  Does anyone know what else could possibly be
used on 6-STABLE or NetBSD 4 ?

]Mark Saad[