Subject: Re: Installing local packages and NetBSD guide
To: Steven M. Bellovin <>
From: Mark Weinem <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2007 23:11:44
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> "Greg A. Woods" <> wrote:
>> [...] In any case hier(7) is not only a description of the base system,
>> but also a guide to the administrator and as such it should document a
>> suggested layout for locally added files and subsystems.

I disagree here: hier(7) is - at least on my system - only a description.
It doesn't provide any tips or "best practices" about system
administration so far.

> [...] In fact, /usr/local/{bin,sbin,include,...} should be part of the
> defaults used by NetBSD in all contexts.

NetBSD doesn't care about /usr/local, that's the admin's job.
If he needs a structure under /usr/local he can just create it.
But many NetBSD setups will never need /usr/local.

Mark Weinem
PGP-Key available